This two part class will help you make the quilted Hovea Jacket of your dreams. The two class sessions are designed to be taken together or individually. Are you already a confident quilter or do you have an old quilt you'd like to make a jacket out of? Just sign up for part 2! Are you a garment sewist who can handle the Hovea pattern on your own but don't know how to quilt? Session 1 is perfect for you! Want some support for the whole exciting process? Take both sessions together!
SESSION 1: Mon February 5-19, 6pm-9pm
In the first 3 week session we will make the quilted fabric that will serve as the foundation for our jackets. You can either use the Jelly Rainbow pattern you see in the sample, or bring your own quilt pattern and we can adapt it to a jacket.
SESSION 2: Mon February 26-March 11, 6pm-9pm
In the second 3 week session we will be cutting, assembling, and binding our Hovea jackets.
The Hovea Jacket
by Megan Nielsen is a size inclusive pattern available in 3 lengths and extending up to a 62 inch hip. The pattern is included with the purchase of SESSION 2.
Suggested Materials: all students receive 15% off class supplies at Sew to Speak
- Roughly 3 yards of quilting cotton (or yardage necessary for your pattern), and the correct amount of lining and batting for your jacket size.
- All purpose thread to match.
- A rotary cutter, ruler, and self healing cutting mat.
- A walking foot compatible with your sewing machine.
- 100 1.5" to 2" safety pins.
- A marking tool that is visible on your chosen fabric.
Session 2: Hovea Pattern is INCLUDED in the cost of this session
- 2 yards of pattern tracing paper.
- Quilted fabric (of your own or from Session 1)
- A half yard of fabric for your binding.
- Thread to match.
- Binding clips or pins.
Requirements - A confident beginner sewist. Able to thread your machine and sew simple projects. No garment sewing or quilting experience necessary.
Teacher: Rachel Wallis